My wife and I recently had lunch at Barrel House 101 in Ventura, California and I had their gourmet grilled cheese sandwich with apricot preserves and brie. It encouraged me to do some experimenting of my own.
- Shredded Cheese – Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend
- Soft Cheese like Brie I have been using a Goat cheese from Marin French Cheese
- Goulden’s brown mustard (optional)
- Harry & David’s Chunky Mango Relish
- Spread the soft cheese on one slice of bread
- Spread the relish on the second slice
- If you want mustard, spread that on as well (I love it with mustard but my wife skipped that)
- Throw a hand full of shredded cheese in the sandwich
- Throw a handful of cheese in a non-stick pan, no need for butter or oil
- Heat until the cheese is partially melted
- throw another handful of cheese in the pan and flip the sandwich
- Cook until done on both sides
We have started experimenting with other spreads like Harry & David’s Relish Charred Pineapple which also worked well.
Total prep time is under 10 minutes.