We got this recipe from our friend Mary and the secret is the marinade. If you can let the chicken marinate overnight that’s great, but an hour or two works great. It works great on the outdoor grill or the George Foreman Grill.
You can probably get by with only 2 chicken breasts… but it is so good that I like having leftovers. We have done this for just the family or for a backyard BBQ with friends. It is always popular.
Mary's Chicken Fajitas
- George Foreman Grill or BBQ Grill
- 6 chicken tenders (or 3 breasts)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 large onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 8 small torillas
- Mexican shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Spanish Rice
- Combine marinade ingredients, thaw chicken and set to marinate for at least one hour or as long as overnight
- Cut onions and peppers into thin strips
- One half hour before serving time, cook onion in oil. When onion is starting to get soft, add peppers and cook until soft
- Remove chicken from marinade and cook on outdoor or indoor grill. We use a George Foreman Grill https://amzn.to/39fO3RE.
- Serve with tortillas, cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and Spanish rice
Combine marinade ingredients, thaw chicken if needed, and set to marinate for at least one hour or as long as overnight.
Grill the chicken until golden brown and cooked through. The chicken should still be moist inside because of the marinade.
Grill the onions with a little oil until they start to get brown and soft.
While the chicken is grilling and the onions are cooking, cut the peppers and add to the onions.
I add a splash of water when cooking the onions and peppers together.
Serve with tortillas, cheese, salsa, sour cream to taste. We love a side of Spanish Rice and chips and salsa.